Honors & Awards
Sonya is admitted to practice in North Carolina, California, and New York. Sonya has built a law practice committed to client service and she focuses on representing individuals and companies in personal injury, real estate, IP, litigation, entertainment, and corporate matters.
Sonya received her law degree from Columbia University, where she was recognized as a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar. Sonya received her business degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Kenan-Flagler Business School, where she earned seventeen scholarships.
Sonya Tien has litigation and transactional experience, has appeared in more than twenty federal and state courts and she has personally negotiated hundreds of settlements and transactions on behalf of her clients. Her practice is focused on providing results-oriented legal services with an unwavering commitment to client satisfaction.
Before founding Tien Law Firm, Sonya practiced law at Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson, LLP’s New York office with a focus on corporate transactions, corporate compliance, SEC enforcement, commercial real estate, and commercial litigation. Sonya co-authored Fried Frank’s monthly international publication, White Collar Criminal Defense and Securities Enforcement Memorandum.
In 2009, Sonya served as a federal judicial intern with The Honorable George H. Lowe, United States Magistrate Judge for the Northern District Court for the District of New York, where she gained valuable judicial and litigation experience.
Sonya has been a key member of plaintiff and defense litigation and transactional teams, and has provided legal services to Goldman Sachs, Goldman Sachs (ASIA), CBRE, Catalent Pharama Solutions, Far Country Outdoors, JP Morgan Chase, Credit Suisse, and Barclays Capital Inc.
Representative matters include:
- Serving as trial lawyer in catastrophic injury litigation in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina.
- Obtained pre-litigation wrongful death settlement against State Farm.
- Serving as trial lawyer in serious injury litigation in Wake County Superior Court.
- Obtained a pre-litigation settlement and workers’ compensation settlement for a serious motorcycle accident.
- Serving as commercial real estate attorney for Grenelle Holdings, LLC and Viva, LLC.
- Serving as M&A attorney for Painted Plus, LLC buyout.
- Serving as IP attorney to a publishing company.
- Serving as IP litigator for a national retail brand for litigation at the Trial Trademark and Appeal Board.
- Serving on the litigation team for JPMorgan Chase in a landmark hostile takeover M&A litigation in the Delaware Chancery Court.
- Serving on the litigation team for a pharmaceutical company’s M&A dispute.
- Serving on the defense litigation team for a securities class action litigation in United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York.
- Serving on the defense litigation team for Credit Suisse regarding mortgage-backed securities litigation.
- Serving on the White-collar defense team for a Fortune 100 investment bank investigation by the Department of Justice.
- Serving on the trial team for commercial real estate litigation in Supreme Court of New York.
- Serving on the litigation team in litigation against the FDA and DHHS in United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York.
Sonya has helped clients navigate the SEC, FDA, DOJ, and TTAB for federal investigations and litigation matters. Her clients include individuals and companies from diverse industries including media & entertainment, real estate, and financial services.
Sonya’s work has been published by The Wall Street Lawyer and Practising Law Institute. She has also lectured at industry events on topics of executive compensation and SEC regulation, and has a proven track record of results and dispute resolution for her clients.
Sonya has been recognized by Super Lawyers in 2020 and 2021 as a Rising Star, and has received a perfect 10 out of 10 rating on Avvo for the past eight years. Sonya can assist clients who need strong litigation and transactional skills on a wide range of matters including, personal injury, real estate, intellectual property, entertainment and sports law, and corporate counsel.